Monday, March 30, 2009

Surprise!

Hello, F.O.T.E.'s,
I bet you thought I'd never blog again, didn't you? Well, you just never can tell, can you? LOL
I want to tell you about a story my mother used to tell. It is true--or at least, based on a true story.
Evidently, one of Mama's brothers had been caught smoking cigarettes. I believe he was in about junior high, at the time. Papa (that is, my Grandfather) had told the offender that if he caught him smoking again, he would "set his rear end on fire." (Now, though I was certainly an exemplary child, I have, indeed, heard that phrase and know that it means that a spanking or switching is about to be handed out.)
As you can guess, Papa discovered his son out behind the barn one day--smoking a cigarette. Being true to his word, Papa administered a couple switches to the dungareed behind of my uncle, not knowing that Uncle had stashed his matches in that very pocket. Both men were astonished when Uncle's rear end started smoking! Evidently, the friction from the correction met up with a match head and, well...Papa really *did* set Uncle's rear end on fire!
From my understanding, the spanking ended there and the two set about extinguishing that back pocket.
I also understand that Uncle never did smoke again. In either way.
Well, The Ewe must run. I'm AWOL from the kitchen, with dinner time rapidly approaching. I'll surprise you again, sometime. :-)
Y'all keep your wool dry,
The Ewe

No comments: