Thursday, August 16, 2007

Happy Birthday, Lioness!

Hello, F.O.T.E.'s,
Ok, so, Lioness' birthday was actually nearly a month ago, but I am having a hard time getting to sleep...so I decided I'd tell you about L.L's Big Day.
Indeed, L.L. has turned 13. So far, the walls have not caved in. ;-) For the last couple years, we've heard tales of doom and gloom about The Day You Discover a TEENAGER in Your Home. LOL Obviously, we still have plenty of time left in the "teen years" (lol) but I refuse to roll over on my back and believe that my daughter has lost her mind for the next 7 years. No, I'm going to claim that she has been given a "spirit of power, a spirit of love and a sound mind." :-) (I know you're rolling your eyes at me, lol.)
Anyway, L.L. had wanted us to have a "Tea" for her new friends here in the Big City. So, we pulled out the hand crocheted table topper that my mother had done years ago, several China pieces that seldom see the light of day (yes, I *know* I ought to use them...just haven't gotten into the habit yet), and all the cookbooks, looking for dainty appetizers.
We took a trip to Hobby Lobby and Old Time Pottery to buy up a bunch of lacy doo dads and a punch bowl. Gotta have a punch bowl!!
Lovable worked our "tablescape" for us--she's got quite an eye for flower arranging.
Musical perfected her punch serving technique.
We all scurried around scrubbing this and that, shining the other.
The day of the Tea, The Ram took Tater out to The Farm to pick corn. They had a great time--found a tiny frog sitting on the leaf of a squash plant...and a rotten raccoon carcass at the end of a corn row. I'm told the stench was nearly overpowering. LOL
Anyway, back at The Fold, our guests arrived and snacked. The girls all played (I believe I counted 19 girls here!?) We Mamas chatted like crazy and sipped punch. (It was too hot outside--no one wanted tea, unless it was iced.)
We had requested on the invitations that no one bring gifts--it somehow seemed to me that gifts might "cheapen" a party like that, and could cause awkward moments...so, we asked each family to bring a recipe written out for L.L. to put into her scrapbook. Those are very special recipes to her. :-)
I gave her a "recipe journal" that we had found a couple months ago. It is blank, but I am systematically writing in it. I tell about a particular recipe--where I found it, etc--then write out the recipe. I have learned that handwritten recipes, all spattered and worn, are a real treasure.
Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I believe Lioness felt honored. Sure hope so. :-) If the walls start giving way, I'll try to shoot out a blog post to let you know what's going on. ;-)
Well, (yawn), the old brain's shutting down. Better haul myself into bed before I fall asleep here at the keyboard.
Y'all keep your wool dry,
The Ewe

No comments: