Monday, May 24, 2010


We left KC last Tues, en route to TN.  It was an uneventful 12 hour trip.  The ride gave me a lot of time to think/pray/meditate.  We got to Kathy's around bedtime that night.  Tucked the kids in (most of them, anyway) and sat down for a chat with K.  After exploring options and feelings/leanings, we decided we would go to Vanderbilt University to induce.  I've never used pain meds in labor, but this time, I knew I wanted some.  With so much emotional pain, I just could not cope with the thought of a very intense labor. 
Wed, May 19 we arrived with Kathy at the hospital.  I've had some unpleasant hospital experiences, so I was a bit anxious about going in, but I knew it was the right thing this time.  Kathy said she'd worked w/ them at Vandy before, and never had a bad experience. 
   From the moment we arrived at labor and delivery, it was obvious that the Lord had gone before us.  *Everyone* treated us with such respect.  No one pressured us about anything.  They accomodated our children's visits (even though we exceeded their visitor limit).
   I was so wanting to get the "show on the road" and get my baby born and into my arms, even if just for a short time.  It seemed like the paper work would never get done for us to start the induction.
  Finally, around 4:30 p.m., the medication was placed and contractions began.  They had offered to place an epidural before they began the induction, but I was comfortable at that point and didn't mind waiting for the anesthesia.
   The anesthesiologist came in just after we started the meds and she very patiently answered my many (many!) questions.  She was a calming influence and carefully explored my medical history to be sure we proceeded safely. 
    Just before time for the second dose of induction meds, she placed the epidural.  I noticed right away that not much happened.  Once the inductions meds kicked in (this was a dose twice the size as the first) I knew we had to revamp something.  Severe, severe pain. 
  We called back in the anesthesiologist staff.  The first doctor (who had kindly stayed 2 hours past the end of her shift, just to be with me) had gone home, but her boss and another cohort were there.  They took 2 more swings at placing the epidural and the 3rd try work immediately.  I needed help getting my legs back up on the bed after it was placed.  Ah, yes.  Relief.  That was around 1:30 a.m., Thur, I believe.  Shortly afterward, the 3rd dose of induction meds were placed. 
   I went to sleep.


Jamie said...

Brings back memories of my time in such a similar predicament. Isn't it simply amazing how GOD went before you in the hospital??? HE knew! I can't wait to hear more! Lots of love and prayers being sent your way!

Mama Lamba said...

Thanks, Jamie. Oh yes, the Lord put just the right people just where they needed to be. He is good. Thanks for the love and prayers!