Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Try It Tuesday: Reviews and News for January 18, 2011

Hello, F.O.T.E.'s,
Well the snow is now mostly slush, but the weather service is forecasting more snow in the next week.  We'll see what happens.
  I'm trying to catch up on my laundry, etc, after a weekend at an Answers in Genesis conference--good stuff!--so I'll get straight to Old Business...

Last week's Try It was Creamed Chicken and Vegetables.  (recipe in earlier post)  Here is our family's review of that dish:

Meg: 9!! out of 10!!  "Very good!  A little too spicy, but just a tiny bit.  By far the best 'Try It Tuesday' we've had so far!!"

Reid: 9.5!! out of 10!!  "Best yet!  Love the hint of spicy heat!"  He also reported that it was better the second day, as leftovers.

Claire: 10!! out of 10!!  "It was great! one of the best Try It Tuesdays!  I really liked the tiny bit of spiciness.  It was so good!"

Amy:  9!! out of 10!!  "This one is going in my recipe book.  Admittedly, it's a "comfort food," a lot like a pot pie.  Next time--and there *will* be a next time--I will use either the pepperoncini or the red pepper, but not both."

Hannah:  8!! out of 10!!  "It was too spicy.  I liked it a little bit."

Adam: "It's good!  It has vegetables!!"  :-)

Annie:  9.5!! out of 10!! "stop it...lol...ha ha...gasp....lol...I didn't say that....no, no that's funny!  Although it's kind of annoying...umm...I didn't say that!  lol...lol...I'm thinking....lol...ummm.......I didn't burp!!!!  I did not!!!  But it was quiet...NO!!!  LOL!!!   I sighed!!!  It wasn't a burp, it was just very quiet!  Stop THAT!!!  LOL...Would you stop it so I can think without laughing?!?  LOL....SIGH...I did not BURP!!  NO!  I'm not making that noise!  No.  I liked it!  Yes!  umm...it was a lot like chicken pot pie...uh, stop!  I didn't say that.    It was better with the biscuits than the cornbread waffles, but it was still good with the cornbread waffles.  Stop!  I like doing the cornbread that way.  I would like to have it again.  I wish that I had written down my own review, instead of telling Mom what to write."

Heh heh heh...
As you can tell, Annie's review was typed verbatim, in real time.  heh heh heh...

Ok...New Business!
Today's recipe is from Emeril Lagasse, off of Foodnetwork.com (LOVE that site!).

Fettucine Alfredo

1 lb dried fettucine
6 T butter
1 shallot, minced (I'll be using plain, ol' onion 1/4 C minced)
1 C heavy cream (oh yeah!)
1 C finely grated parmigiano-reggiano (I will be using an Italian 3-cheese blend--parmesan, romano, asiago--                pre-grated...I got it from the deli)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
fresh parsley, for garnish, optional  (I'll be using dry. )

Cook the fettucine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente.  Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 C pasta water.
  While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add shallots and saute until tender.  Add the cream and bring to a boil.  Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat.
  Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid.  Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Sprinkle with reamining parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired.  Serve immediately.

Ok, as you can tell, this is definitely *not* low-cal.  Sorry about those New Year's resolutions.  I resolved that this year, I will eat more butter.  ROTFLOL  (not really...just kidding...though it would be an easy one to keep!)
   Annie says I should now tell you to go look at her blog--  jibenow.com/welcometomyworld   --to see other funny (or not) resolutions. 
  Alright...must run...
remember:
Keep your wool dry!

The Ewe

No comments: