Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Try It Tuesday: Reviews and News

Hello, F.O.T.E.'s!
Well, are you snowed in?  We are!  It's beautiful.  Yesterday was the perfect "play outside day" because the temps were barely under freezing, but still cold enough to snow.  It didn't stop snowing until early this morning.  I'd guess we have around 8 inches.  The temps today are too cold to allow outside play--9 degrees air temp...under zero wind chill.  It's supposed to get down to -1 tonight, with a wind chill of -15.  Think we'll be staying in...lol
    Last week's Try It was enough to make me say, "Forget new recipes!  Let's stick with the tried and true!"  but..then...that would defeat the idea of "Try It Tuesday."  Anyway...as you remember (I'm sure--ha!) last week  we tried Pork Chops and Brown Rice.  (recipe in the earlier post). So, I'll offer you my family's opinions of that dish, plus share with you tonight's Try It.  (As usual, we'll Try It tonight...you Try It when you want...if you want.)
    Review of Pork Chops and Brown Rice:

Hannah:  "Get me AWAY from that CRAZY STUFF!!!  It's DISGUSTING!!!  I HATE it! I HATE IT!  I HATE IT!!!"   (editor's note:  she was having a fit which was totally unrelated to the meal...so, you may want to keep that in mind--LOL...I don't even think she tasted it...but, I pretty much agree with her on it, LOL)

Reid: 7!! of 10!! on chops  "The dish, as a whole, I could not rate.  The chops were tender and nicely seasoned.  The rice was nice, but too strong on thyme and not ready when the chops were.  Perhaps a bit of salt would help."

Meg:  5!! out of 10!!  without soy sauce...with soy sauce 7!! out of 10!!  "The chops were very good.  The rice was a bit too thymey.  [is that a word?]  I've had better, and I've had worse."

Claire:  4.5 !! out of 10!!  "The chops weren't exactly as tender as I wanted them, but they had a really good taste."

Adam:  8!! out of 10!!  "The meat wasn't as chewy as meatloaf.  I liked that the meat wasn't too juicy."

Amy:  3!! out of 10!!  "I like the technique of browning the chops, then finishing them in the oven, but I think immersing them in the rice water washes off the crust on the chops, reducing the flavor.  The rice was still raw after an hour.  Since the chops were ready and we'd already finished our salad, we had the pork along with steamed CA blend veggies.  After another hour, the rice was cooked.  As for taste, I didn't care for the seasoning blend.  The only plus was that the pork was very tender and fairly moist.  I used very lean, boneless chops."
  

Ummm....so...that one isn't making it into the Hall Family Recipe Book.  So far, we're 0 for 2.  I'm anxious to try out tonight's recipe, Creamed Chicken and Vegetables, in which you just make white sauce and add cheese, chicken and veggies. (How can that be bad??)   With it, I return to my Southern roots.  Ha!  I'm needing a win tonight, so I pulled out the Southern Living Cookbook.  :-)  So, here's the recipe:

Creamed Chicken and Vegetables

1 (10 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables or frozen peas and carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery (I forgot to get celery, so I'll sprinkle in some celery seeds)
2 t. finely chopped onion
3 T. butter, melted
3 T. all-purpose flour (I'll be using freshly ground whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 C milk
1 1/2 C whipping cream
1/3 cup shredded cheddar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper
1/4 t. red pepper
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 (2 oz) jar diced pimiento, drained (ummm...I don't have this...so, I'll chop up a small pepperoncini...don't laugh at me)
Garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, paprika

Cook mixed vegetables and set aside.  Saute celery and onion in butter.  Add flour, stirring until smooth.  Gradually add milk and cream; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Add 1/3 c cheese, salt and peppers; stir until cheese melts.  Stir in chicken, diced pimiento, and cooked vegetables;  cook until heated through.  Serve over cornbread or biscuits.


Alright.  There it is.  I'm thinking a dairyman came up with this recipe, LOL.  I will be doubling, as usual.  There is currently a debate happening here as to whether we use cornbread or biscuits.  I guess maybe we'll do a little of both, and compare.  I sure hope this works out.  I'm losing heart, LOL.

  I'll be back next Tuesday with another Try It...until then,

Y'all Keep Your Wool Dry!

The Ewe

No comments: