Monday, January 31, 2005

An Historic Day

Hello, F.O.T.E.s,
Things are going great here at The Fold. We're in near-daily contact with The Ram and counting down the time until he's home on leave. As you can imagine, we're all very excited.
Another piece of excitement was the Iraqi Elections. Now, don't fault me for being an unabashed flag-waver and don't call me naive...I know the elections weren't the magic pill that was going to make everything just peaches and cream in The Sand Box, but, my goodness! Some of those folks got to cast their first-ever ballot in an election with more than one "candidate"--and, to the best of my knowledge, none of the candidates in *this* election were liable to tie up and beat citizens who refused to vote for them. (Back in advertising class, that would have been called a "hard sell" ;-) I've got to admit, I had a few misty-eyed moments yesterday--watching Iraqi citizens proudly holding up their ink-stained fingers; Iraqi guardsmen dancing in the streets after having voted; and yes, hearing of the bravery of these desert-toughened people to just stand in line, knowing that at any minute someone could try to blow them up. I was touched by all that, and more, but the scene that most moved me was the 79 year old man, being supported by other men on either side of him, painstakingly picking his way a mile to the polling place to cast his vote. Do you realize how *easy* we have it here? Hop in the car, drive a mile or two, hop out probably a few feet from the polling place door...go in, maybe stand in line a few minutes, go into the machine, pull the curtain and push a few buttons. Our votes are then magically tallied by computer in a cozy building with lights, toilets and delivery pizza. Oh my. Would *we* basically crawl a mile to cast a vote? Also, did you see the pictures of the election workers, tallying by hand paper ballots by candlelight? Candlelight! Abe Lincoln would be proud! Fellow patriots, cherish our country! It ain't perfect, but it's ours!
Yes, it was an historic day yesterday. I'm proud to have had a "bit part" in it, having kissed The Ram goodbye a few months ago, so he could take *his* place in making history happen. I'm a proud Ewe.
Well, gotta run...the Lambies will be needing me soon. Y'all keep your wool dry!
The Ewe

Quote of the Day: "Will Daddy be bringing my horse in a truck when he comes home? 'Cuz I've seen horses in trucks before, and they don't seem to mind." Musical, inquiring as to the mode of delivery of the horse she's praying for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I *love* the quote of the day. Kids are so great. What wonderful refreshing perspectives they have to offer. :)
Insightful perspectives on iraqui elections *Ewe* had! ;)
Love,
Jessica